Woo! How were the holidays for everyone? Lots of family, food, and traveling (with all three kitties) made for a pretty busy time for me, but we are now back in Buffalo just in time for some super snowy weather. I had a great time over the holidays, but I am excited to be back in the kitchen with a few new gadgets to boot.
I finished off 2013 by going skiing with my sister and her boyfriend up at our local resort back home in PA, and I was rewarded with a very stiff neck, as I pulled a muscle during our last run after catching my skis in a pile of powder and tumbling a bit. It was fun up until that point, but hey, no broken bones or serious injury!
To kick off the new year, I wanted to look back at the reader favorites over the past year here on cooking ala mel. It’s neat to see which old recipes pop up time and time again! I also had to add in a few of my favorites, as there were so many great recipes I got to make this year!
1. Creamy Greek Yogurt Mac and Cheese – This recipe is probably my most-viewed recipe of all time, with good reason. I make this all the time for quick and easy dinners!
2. Homemade Cheez Its – An oldie but goodie! These are even better than Cheez Its without any chemicals, but just as addictive.
3. Baked Zucchini Bites (Gluten Free Option) – A great appetizer that are super quick to come together!
4. Blueberry Zucchini Muffins – A tasty whole wheat muffed packed with blueberries and zucchini for a healthy breakfast.
5. *Almost Raw* Samoa Bars – A healthier take on my favorite Girl Scout cookie with no refined sugars!
6. Rich Dark Chocolate Brownies (Gluten Free) – Super fudgy and healthier! One of my favorite brownies.
7. Slow Cooker Sesame Garlic Chicken – A great option when you want take-out but would rather know exactly what you’re eating.
8. Mexican Wedding Fruit Pizzas – Another oldie! This one’s a crowd pleaser.
9. Avocado Chocolate Mousse – Healthier mousse made with avocados! I promise you can’t taste them.
10. TARDIS Sneakers *Tutorial* – These are my favorite shoes, and they’re so easy to make! Perfect for your geeky friends.
1. Classic Guacamole – The number of times I’ve made this guacamole this year is a little ridiculous. We LOVE it. It’s perfect and full of lime. And addictive.
2. Broccoli Cheddar Potato Soup – Fall of 2013 was the season of soup for me, and I’m just getting started! This one was probably my favorite.
3. Blackberry Vanilla Crisp (Gluten Free) – This is so full of rich vanilla flavor. Totally in love with it. If only blackberries were in season right now…
4. Slow Cooker Applesauce (No Sugar Added) – Another one I made over and over again. Couldn’t be easier!
5. Blueberry & Cherry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt (Gluten Free) – Words cannot express how much I want some of this right now. Even though it’s currently snowing like mad. It’s so good.
6. Chocolate Cherry Brownie Frozen Yogurt (Gluten Free) – Fantastically rich, but healthier than any frozen yogurt you’d get at the store!
7. Golden Snitch Cake (Gluten Free) – I am still extremely proud of myself for actually accomplishing this cake. Harry Potter geek for life!
8. Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free) – A great classic chocolate chip cookie that is also gluten free! Which reminds me – I need more buckwheat flour!
9. Homemade Amaretto – Simple and delicious. I love my amaretto, and I’m so glad I can now make it myself!
10. Mocha Mayo Cake (Gluten Free) – Probably the best cake I made all year, AND it’s gluten free!
Here’s to another great year full of fantastic food, friends, family, and good health!