Another soup recipe coming at you! This one is possibly my new favorite (although I say that each time I make a new soup). This time, though, I’m totally serious. Broccoli cheese soup is definitely a weakness of mine. I wanted to make it a little healthier, but I was nervous that it wouldn’t taste the same. I’ve been super crazy lately with some apartment issues (totally stressed and angry all. the. time.), so I quickly whipped up this soup. The flavors are SPOT ON. I am in love.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or butter)
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 2-12 oz. packages of frozen broccoli, thawed (or about 4 cups fresh broccoli, steamed)
- 12 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups)
- 2 cups milk (I used whole)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt (I love Chobani)
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil.
Add the onion, carrots, and garlic, and cook until onions are translucent and the carrots are slightly soft.
Add the broth and broccoli, and cook over medium low heat for about 15 minutes, covered, until carrots and broccoli are cooked through.
Stir in the cheese and milk until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Remove from the heat, and stir in the greek yogurt, until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.